current location

taipei, taiwan

-

travel wardrobe

     I like to plan my packing long before I travel. Just kidding. I spend the night before lying in bed, staring at the wall, and at 5 minutes after I was supposed to leave you'll find me skidding around the house looking for my passports. What I do do, the night or a few before, I try to write up a checklist of things I need to pack so that I can just tick them off as I dash around mindlessly. In the end, though, all I really need is a passport, a smile ...and some cash can always come in handy. When I was younger, I used to stuff half of my wardrobe in the bag I took for the summer, most of which I'd never even get around to wearing. Nowadays, anything more than the clothes I have on my back feel like too much to lug around. Truth is, when I travel, I only stick to wearing the clothes that I feel most comfortable in, so what's the point in bringing a tight miniskirt if I've got the choice between it and a pair of airy elephant pants? Not that I would ever consider cycling in a tight miniskirt anyway...
     When you Google search for a packing list for travel, you come up with looong lists of "essential" things you just simply caaan't forget to bring with you. Truth is, only you can know what's indispensable to you, and hey, maybe you'd rather bring a harmonica in place of 2 extra pairs of underwear! So I make my own packing list, and for this trip, it looked a little like this:


  1. Short-sleeve shirt
  2. Button-up collared shirt
  3. Long-sleeved shirt
  4. Shawl 
  5. Elephant pants
  6. Loose jeans 
  7. Loose shorts
  8. Light dress 
  9. Tank top
  10. Bikini
  11. Longyi
  12. Worn-out sneakers
  13. Worn-in sandals
  14. Mini towel
  15. Flannel
  16. Baseball cap
  17. Sunglasses
  18. Socks x3
  19. Undies x5
Adjusting the amounts to the type of weather to be expected and under the assumption that I'll be able to find whatever else I may need on site, it's a pretty general draw-up of the interior of the two big ziplocs stashed in my backpack. No, I don't bring any coats to South East Asia. And yes, there are some times that I really really wish I did. Nor do I bring many skin-revealing clothes items that wouldn't be appropriate to bike past old Thai grandpas in, or even if only to feel safer from creeps. Essentially, bring comfortable things that you don't necessarily care about losing or wearing out, - I won't abandon my dear holey sneakers until their soles fall apart, - and you're set to go!

NOTE: A rope is not only a great thing to have around, but also works in place of a belt AND a clothesline. 

No comments:

Post a Comment