current location

kyoto, japan

-

pangkor getaway

may 5, 2014
Nazri Nipah Camp
     I'm probably crazy. I'd just arrived in Kuala Lumpur on Saturday and already the next day I decided to head off on a 7h journey to Pulau Pangkor. Pangkor island is a small island located a little over half the way from KL to Georgetown. Weekends see swarms of local tourists, while the week days give way to relatively empty beaches. Fresh out of final exams and off the plane into a foreign culture, I decided that it would do me good to acclimatize to Malay culture and weather in a kampung atmosphere and get to know the metropolis of KL afterwards. So, while my Burmese visa was being arranged in the capital, I headed off for 2 nights of island time.
In the pink bus
      Busses to Lumut leave from Puduraya Bus Station (the hub for most connections in KL) frequently, I got to the station around 9am and caught one almost immediately. Tickets are sold on the third floor, and I paid 28MYR to Lumut, where we arrived five hours later after changing busses once. The ferry terminal is a two minute walk from the bus station, and ferries run every 45 minutes between Lumut and the island, but make sure to get off at the second stop. From there, you can take the vastly overpriced (probably because it's the only transport available) pink taxi for 15 MYR to Nazri Nipah Camp, a chilled out reggae hostel in Teluk Nipah. The dormitory was up for 20 MYR, and the hostel's got a great hang out area with hammocks. There's a kitchen and wifi is available. I spent the following day exploring the island with a friend who had a motorbike. Although there isn't all that much to see, Pangkor is a nice, quiet island for a few days getaway - but bring enough cash in case you get stuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment